Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Cookie Day 13

Krumkake


This is on the back of the iron box.
2 eggs                                        1  tsp cardamom
1 cup sugar                               1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened          1 scant cup milk

Beat eggs well. Add sugar, butter and cardamom, beat well. Add flour and milk even parts at a time beat until smooth.  Heat the iron until drops of water sizzle on it.  The recipe said put a tsp on the griddle.  That is not enough.  I did one Tlbs.
Okay so the first thing was what in the H is scant.  I had to google it.  I means just barley.  So I did not fill with milk all the way to the 1 cup line.  I was afraid that the cardamon spice would be to spicy like ginger bread or something like those kind of cookies so I only used 1/2 tsp cardamom.  I wish I would have used the whole tsp.  I like it.  I got my iron off of ebay.  If you go looking for one of these, I recommend starting with an antique store first.  After I bought mine I found some in the Swiss town New Glarus.  Duh.  I know that this whole area that I live in was settled by Scandinavians.  The shipping on ebay will kill you.  My iron, even though old, was very gently used.  The cone thing was missing.  I have not had a chance to find one or jury rig one.  It is hard to clean.  There is a learning curve to getting these cookies right so I really can't give any pointers.  You just need to mess around with it until you get your cookie mojo.  I never did get the pretty design to show up on the cookie except for the burnt ones?  This was fun but messy and the design is not the best.  The handle gets hot.  I need to get one of those little pot holder things like they put on the cast iron skillets.  Also be careful when you squeeze the irons together I did get burned a little so I hold my hands kind of to the side when i squeeze it.  The picture on the back of the box shows a child making these I think?  I wouldn't let my kid.  

Hold your hand to the side.  Don't grip it or the steam will come out and burn you.

1 comment:

  1. We used to sell a lot of these irons at Christmas when I worked in the cooking store at the mall. But they were $90, so I didn't buy one. Probably one of the very few things I didn't buy when I worked there. :D

    ReplyDelete