Saturday, December 7, 2013

Caramel-Walnut Star Cookies Recipe

 

Toasted nuts

I chopped the nuts after I toasted them

Raw

This was easier then I thought it would be.  I just followed the directions on the back of the chocolate chips.
Cooked and glazed
I made these today.  Not sure if I would make them again.  They are a lot of work.  The dough is really dry.  I wrapped it in plastic wrap and squeezed it a bit.  I always roll out my cookie dough with powder sugar instead of flour.  The caramel glaze is a little tricky.  I have been meaning to buy a small whisk.  That would have helped.  The recipe does not say how to toast nuts.  I toasted them for almost 10 minutes in the oven and kept shaking them.  I was so afraid of burning them. I only had 22 cookies.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + chilling
MAKES: 24 servings

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 2 tablespoons 2% milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup ChoppedWalnuts, toasted
  • 24 Walnut Halves
  • 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
  • GLAZE:
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon 2% milk
  • 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and vanilla, then walnuts.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a walnut half in the center of each. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
  3. Spread bottoms of cookies with melted chocolate. Place chocolate side up on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until set.
  4. For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Remove from the heat; cool 5 minutes. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Immediately drizzle over top of cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Iced cookies can be stored for 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature or frozen for up to 1 month.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, only 22 cookies after all that work. Definitely not a recipe for me - I like quantity for my efforts! Something that's going to last longer than 2 hours in our house. They do look good though. :o)

    ReplyDelete